I really enjoyed the pizza I made the other night so I decided to make it again tonight for my sister and I. I also made some Italian bread sticks for the first time and they were really good! I used a side of the sauce I made for the pizza as a dip for the bread sticks.
Italian Bread sticks:
1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
2/3 cup warm milk (rice, soy or cow)
1/2 tsp. sugar or honey
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 + 1 Tbsp. Tapioca flour
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
(rice, soy or cow)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp unflavored gelatin flavor
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1 large egg white or GF cooking spray
1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
1. Mix yeast, milk and sugar in a small bowl. Let foam 5 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400 F for 5 minutes, then turn off.
3. In medium sized mixer bowl, blend yeast milk mixture, flours, xanthan gum, Parmesan cheese, salt, onion powder, gelatin, oil, and vinegar on low speed with a mixer. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Dough will be soft and sticky.
4. Place dough in large heavy duty zip lock bag, with half inch opening cut on one corner. This will make a 1 inch circle. Grease large baking sheet. Squeeze bag out of the plastic bag onto the baking sheet. About 1 inch thick and 6 inches long. Brush the bread sticks with a beaten egg or spray with GF cooking spray. Sprinkle with Italian herb seasoning.
5. Let rise in warmed oven for 20-30 minutes. While bread sticks rise in the oven, turn oven to 400 F and bake until golden brown (about 15-20 minutes) Rotate bread sticks halfway through to make sure they brown evenly.