Saturday, May 2, 2009

Gluten Free Cooking Spree


This Friday I went to the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness Gluten Free Cooking Spree in Bethesda, Maryland. I've never been to this event before but it was pretty awesome!

The event is held to raise awareness of celiac disease and gives us gluties a chance to eat some yummy gluten free food! Top chefs, doctors and reporters were put on teams of three which included one chef, one doctor and one reporter and each team worked to create the best gluten-free dish.

There were 9 teams with chefs from different restaurants in the DC area which included, Wildfire Restaurant, Jaleo, Zengo, Pete's New HAven Style Apizza, Peacock Grand Cafe, Lilit Cafe, Hyatt Regency Bethesda, Sweet Sin and Legal Sea Foods.

Each of these teams came up with yummy dishes like...bacon wrapped scallops, pizza, crab cakes, lamb chops and paella!

There were also several doctors present that gave some really interesting presentations. Did you know that celiac disease is diagnosed in 1 in 4 people in Australia? We are way behind in the US and the amount of time between onset of symptoms and diagnosis is 9+ years in the US! Hopefully with more events like this, that will change.



I had a great time! I also got to take home a bunch of gluten free products! and I brought my boyfriend so I got two of everything :-) Lucky me!

3 comments:

jaysky9 said...

this sounds soooo awesome! Wish I was there to eat bacon wrapped scallops with you all weekend.. More pics please :-)

dierkesw said...

Oh my...everything looks amazing! Wish I could have gone!! :)

Sarah Faith said...

i got one of those Thai brand rice noodle Pad Thai dishes at the store recently... took it on my last trip and made it in the galley on the plane. it ROCKED! im so excited to have options to take with me when i travel!! yaaaaaaayyy