Sunday, May 10, 2009

Lemon Chicken



This was really tasty! I used skinless chicken breast even though the recipe calls for chicken parts with skin. It was good this way too!

Ingredients:

3-4 lbs chicken parts (thighs and legs recommended), skin-on, bone-in, trimmed of excess fat.
2 Tbsp lemon zest
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp fresh chopped thyme (or teaspoons dried)
1 Tbsp fresh chopped rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2-3 Tbsp melted butter
Lemon slices for garnish

Directions:

1. Place lemon juice, lemon peel, garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper in a small bowl, whisk to combine. With the tip of a sharp knife, cut into each chicken piece one or two times by about 1/2 an inch. Place the chicken pieces and the marinade in a gallon-sized freezer bag. Rotate the bag so that all the chicken pieces are coated with the marinade. Seal the bag and place in a bowl in the refrigerator. Let marinate for at least 2 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 425. Remove chicken from marinade and place in a single layer in a large baking dish, skin side up. Reserve the marinade. Use a pastry brush to brush a little melted butter on to each piece of chicken.

3. Bake for a total of 50-55 minutes, until the skins are crispy brown and the chicken is cooked through, juices running clear. (Because I used skinless chicken breast mine was done in about 30 minutes) Halfway through the baking, baste the chicken pieces generously with reserved marinade. Let rest, covered in foil, for 10 minutes before serving.

4. Pour the juices from the pan into a serving bowl. Serve the chicken with the juices on the side or a little poured over the top of the chicken.

5 comments:

NFCA said...

Hello Katie,

My name is Atlantis Lacy. I am the social media manager for the NFCA. We at the NFCA loved the review you did for the cooking spree and Your blog. I would like a chance to discuss adding your blog to our link page and more. Please email me at alacy@celiaccentral.org if you are interested.
Thanks and great job.

Stacey said...

FYI - I nominated you for an Attitude of Gratitude Award.

kelly said...

hi, i love reading your blog, i have a blog at glutenfreeinhawaii.blogspot.com. i have a little more homecooking since i am feeding a family but my daughter is 20 and newly diagnosed. i also have a good friend who is 20 also who is in dc for the summer, she loves baking, she is not GF but wants to open a bakery someday and also have gluten free items, i am sure would love to talk to someone who enjoys food! if you feel inclined, e-mail me at kellybishop1@hawaiiantel.net and maybe i can connect you two?!

Jenny said...

Katie-
I have used several of your recipes and love them!! I am in DESPARATE need of a yummy gluten free bread to make sandwiches with. Have any suggestions? I have been using Whole Foods gluten free bread that comes in the freezer...it is hard and not very good for sandwiches. Am I dreaming that there just may be something yummy like normal fresh bread? What do you use?

Katie said...

Hi Jenny!

I'm so glad you enjoy reading my blog!

As far as gluten free breads go, my favorite is Glutino corn bread. (not really corn bread, just made from corn flour) I'm a big fan of Glutino products and there bread does not disappoint. Just like other gluten free breads though, you have to be sure to toast it first. This bread is AWESOME as grilled cheese.

Let me know if you try it and how you like it!

Katie :-)